|Major League Soccer|
|Home|||||Scoreboard|||||Match Schedule|||||Standings|||||Clubs|||||Transfers|||||Player Leaders|
Tinnerholm, Villa help NYCFC beat Galaxy 2-1
European Football Headlines
- What to watch in the leading soccer leagues in Europe
- PSG vs. Dijon among 5 weekend French league games postponed
- FIFA won't be bound by politics over sharing Qatar World Cup
- Cardiff City-Watford Preview
- Leicester City-Crystal Palace Preview
- Real Madrid to face Leganes again in Copa del Rey
- Former Juve director Marotta joins Inter as CEO for sport
- Business as usual in Champions League? Maybe not this season
- Spanish 2nd-division club Reus on brink of extinction
- Inter has to pick itself up after tough 6 weeks
NEW YORK (AP) Anton Tinnerholm had his first MLS goal and David Villa scored another to help New York City FC beat the Los Angeles Galaxy 2-1 on Sunday.
Tinnerholm blasted a left-footed volley to give NYCFC (2-0-0) the lead in the 22nd minute. Villa's cross, off a feed from Jesus Medina, deflected high off Michael Ciani and Tinnerholm, a 27-year-old defender from Sweden, rifled it off the crossbar.
Sean Johnson made a diving save of a sliding half-volley by Ola Kamara in the 27th and Villa made it 2-0 in the 33rd. Medina, on a counter-attack breakaway, touched it around a defender and then fed a left-footed cross to Ben Sweatt, whose shot from near the spot was stopped by a charging David Bingham. Villa tapped the rebound into the open net.
Jonathan dos Santos, from point-blank range, re-directed a cross from Emmanuel Boateng past Johnson to cap the scoring in the 60th.
New York City, which has lost just two regular-season home matches since June 2, 2016, outshot the Galaxy (1-1-0) 20-7.
Updated March 11, 2018