Hamsik equals Maradona's Napoli record of 115 goals
European Football Headlines
- West Brom-Everton Preview
- Son of Alex Ferguson in trouble for saying he'd 'shoot' refs
- Walcott leaves Arsenal after 12 years to join Everton
- Newcastle United-Manchester City Preview
- Huddersfield Town-Stoke City Preview
- Manchester United-Burnley Preview
- Liverpool defender gets 12-month community order for assault
- Benevento captain Lucioni banned 1 year for doping
- After years of big spending, Chinese soccer goes quiet
- Courage acquires rights to Dunn; NWSL schedule announced
TURIN, Italy (AP) Marek Hamsik equaled Diego Maradona's all-time record of 115 goals for Serie A team Napoli on Saturday.
Hamsik reached that tally by scoring after 30 minutes in Napoli's 3-1 win at Torino.
"It's a good accomplishment, especially as a midfielder, 115 goals is a good number," Hamsik said.
Dries Mertens controlled the ball in the area and picked out Hamsik, who volleyed into the top right corner for Napoli's third goal.
It has taken the Slovenia midfielder 11 seasons and 477 appearances to reach that tally. Maradona, who was a forward, set that mark in 259 games in seven seasons with Napoli.
The win put Napoli back at the top of the Italian league.
Argentina great Maradona led Napoli to its only two Serie A titles, in 1987 and 1990.
Updated December 16, 2017