Soccer great Van Basten leaves FIFA technical director role
European Football Headlines
- FC Cincinnati roster takes shape in MLS expansion draft
- Mary Harvey goes from soccer champ to human rights leader
- Atletico finishes CL group 2nd after 0-0 draw at Club Brugge
- Inter out of Champions League despite 1-1 draw against PSV
- Tottenham advances to CL round of 16 after 1-1 draw at Barca
- English teams edge Italians to advance in Champions League
- Alisson heroics ensure Liverpool through in Champions League
- PSG beats Red Star to reach Champions League knockout stage
- Dortmund secures top spot with 2-0 win at Monaco
- LAFC trades No. 1 pick Moutinho to Orlando for El-Munir
ZURICH (AP) Soccer great Marco van Basten is leaving FIFA after two years as technical director.
The former Netherlands forward is leaving amicably to be closer to his family in Amsterdam, FIFA said Friday.
Van Basten helped oversee the introduction of video review for referees at the World Cup in Russia, plus coaching programs to help member federations.
"Marco has played an important role to reconnect the institution with its technical community," said FIFA deputy secretary general Zvonimir Boban, a former teammate at AC Milan.
Van Basten was also closely linked to the "Play Fair" document published last year looking at radical ways of changing and improving the game, but which had little impact.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/tag/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated October 12, 2018