|Major League Soccer|
|Home|||||Scoreboard|||||Match Schedule|||||Standings|||||Clubs|||||Transfers|||||Player Leaders|
Atlanta United signs Brazilian Rossetto to bolster midfield
European Football Headlines
- Three Serie A matches suspended due to virus deaths in Italy
- England's women to open Euro 2021 at Old Trafford
- Barcelona takes over Spanish league lead after Madrid loss
- Messi nets 4 goals against Eibar to end scoreless streak
- Ronaldo matches record in 1,000th game as Juve beats Spal
- Bamba stars as Nantes wins at 2nd-place Marseille 3-1
- Paul Arriola to have knee surgery, miss 2020 MLS season
- Vital win for Chelsea as VAR calls take center stage again
- Man City beats Leicester 1-0 despite another missed penalty
- West Ham United-Liverpool Preview
ATLANTA (AP) After giving up several key players during a tumultuous offseason, Atlanta United announced Monday the signing of Brazilian midfielder Matheus Rossetto.
The 23-year-old Rossetto played with Athletico Paranaense in Brazil's top division. He was acquired for an undisclosed transfer fee using targeted allocation money.
Rossetto has spent his entire career with Athletico Paranaense except for a short loan stint in 2016 with Ferroviaria. He has made 71 appearances in the Brasileiro Serie A, scoring five goals.
"Matheus is a technically gifted midfielder who gets around the field well," Atlanta United technical director Carlos Bocanegra said. "We're pleased to add him to the team and look forward to him strengthening our midfield immediately."
Coming off a season in which it lost to Toronto in the Eastern Conference final, Atlanta United has undergone a major overhaul.
The MLS team traded or sold Julian Gressel, Darlington Nagbe, Leandro Gonzalez Pirez and Tito Villalba, setting up the prospect of a much different look when the season begins in the CONCACAF Champions League on Feb. 18.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated February 3, 2020