|Major League Soccer|
|Home|||||Scoreboard|||||Match Schedule|||||Standings|||||Clubs|||||Transfers|||||Player Leaders|
Medina, Castellanos each score as NYCFC beats Union 2-0
European Football Headlines
- West Ham United-Brighton & Hove Albion Preview
- Liverpool-West Brom Preview
- Aston Villa-Crystal Palace Preview
- Wolverhampton-Tottenham Hotspur Preview
- Sheffield United-Everton Preview
- Fulham-Southampton Preview
- Leeds United-Burnley Preview
- Manchester City-Newcastle United Preview
- Everton-Aston Villa Preview
- Arsenal-Chelsea Preview
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) Jesus Medina and Valentin Castellanos each scored a goal to help New York City beat the Philadelphia Union 2-0 on Saturday night.
The 24-year-old Medina and 22-year-old Castellanos have scored three goals apiece this season for New York City (2-1-0).
Medina first-timed a one-touch pass by Anton Tinnerholm into the net from point-blank range to open the scoring in the fifth minute.
The Union (0-2-1) played a man down after Jose Martinez was shown a straight red card in the 16th minute for violent conduct.
Gudmundur Thorarinsson played an arcing ball into the area and, after two failed clearance attempts by the Union, Castellanos rolled a left-footed shot into an empty net to make it 2-0 in the 65th minute.
Philadelphia, the winner of the 2020 Supporters Shield, has scored just one goal in three games this season.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated May 1, 2021